Social Studies and Science in Practicum. Posted on October 14th, 2014 by

Something I have been thinking a lot about over our last week in practicum is where science and social studies fit in Literacy is almost two hours of the day and math is half an hour and then there is play time and specialty but where are social studies and math? I was wondering if you guys saw anything from your CT that integrated either one of these subjects into your classroom or lessons? Hope to hear some good ideas!

1. Elisabeth Krane says:

I loved one of the activities that our CT did (that we incorporated into our lesson) — glyphs. Students put together a picture to display in which each feature of the picture shows a piece of data. For example, in my fall mini-unit, students made a jack-o-lantern. The stem color indicated if the child was the oldest, youngest, middle, or only child in their family. The eye color of the pumpkin directly corresponded to the child’s eye color, and the jackolantern had the same number of teeth as the number of teeth the child had lost. This teaches kids to interpret data, which can be applied to reading graphs or charts later in elementary school. This is just one idea though. Does anyone else have any ideas?