GeoFest: “Peace Corps” Posted on October 13th, 2014 by

I ended up liking Geofest a lot more than I thought I would and I was glad that I had the opportunity to attend because I learned a lot, got a lot of great FREE resources 🙂 and was fascinated by the speakers that I attended.

One of the classes I attended was on the Peace Corps. I have planned on teaching abroad for years, but I never seriously considered the Peace Corps, mostly because of the 2 year and 3 month minimum rule. But now,  I decided that it is a wonderful program and that it is a fabulous way to give back to the world. As a student it’s hard not to think about paying back school debt and finding a job right away, but this class was a good reminder that life is short, so why not enjoy it, see the world and GIVE BACK. As teacher candidates we always talk about service and I think it’s very easy for Ed majors to feel really good about themselves and their choice in their profession, but I think it’s important to always be challenging ourselves and questioning ourselves, “how can we give back EVEN MORE?!”  Our speaker talked a lot about how he was transformed by compassion, empathy and hospitality and it was wonderful to hear his story. It’s inspiring to hear how living in a different country can change one’s mindset 100%.