Birds! Posted on March 12th, 2013 by

In recent Science Methods classes, we have been studying different types of birds. We have also been talking a lot about the inquiry process. The inquiry process is a continuum of developing a question, identifying resources and gathering information, assessing information and data, communicating new ideas and knowledge, and reflection. It is a very engaging way of teaching and learning. We experienced this ourselves today when we were given the task of building two different bird feeders. We were given milk jugs, plastic bottles, string, and a small soldering iron as materials. We then had to find a spot around campus to hang our bird feeders, and throughout the rest of the semester we will observe and record any birds.

1. Drew Olinger says:

I agree with what everyone above has said! It is all very true, and I really believe that this way uses many different cross curricular ideas. From the idea of journaling, to learning about specific types of birds to also the constructing of our two bird feeders. Today we had the opportunity in class to review and analyze our bird feeder design. Most of the groups are working to determine the question if one type of seed is more popular than the others. Our group is working with this problem while also adding some simple features to our feeder that will make it more attractive and appealing for the birds. I am very excited to see what everyone else is going to come up with to improve the feeders. All in all this activity really gets students thinking critically and also exploring a variety of different ideas.

2. Megan Schroepfer says:

I just cannot believe all the different designs we have made with household items! I have even been thinking about things outside of class about how I could make the next one better or new ideas that may also work better. I never though of ever tying engineering into class content because I never thought of a way how but I am now starting to realize that it is everywhere and it can almost be implemented with any hands on activity. This was a great activity to do and I am anticipating what we will find out after we take in our bird feeders and collect the data.

3. Jenna Johnson says:

I really liked doing this activity too! It can include so many science topics in it such as observing birds and engineering. I especially like the engineering aspect of it because I feel this is a hard topic to teach on. We have to collaborate with other people in our class and come up with many ideas. Because of the inquiry process, we can retest and rethink throughout developing of bird feeder. After our first trial run will help us eliminate aspects that don’t work, well and keep others that do. This is a great way to teach the students the inquiry process and also teach science content to your students so you can meet the state standards.