Standing up to Bullying Posted on October 17th, 2012 by

I’m not sure if anyone saw this already, but I thought it was an incredibly profound way to address standing up to bullying. This news anchor was sent a letter from a viewer stating that he believes she is a poor role model for viewers because she is “so overweight and unhealthy.” In response to this, her news station supported her in an on-air acknowledgement of this letter and the connection it has to bullying for children in America today. She address the fact that if children are being raised surrounded by adults who think it is acceptable to judge and criticize a person because of his or her appearance and without getting to know them, they are being raised to think that it is okay to treat people in that way. Her argument is respectful yet incredibly powerful and reminds us, as teachers, adults and role models, to set an example through our own actions in daily life.

Let me know what you think! It brought me to tears!

1. Cassandra Faust says:

I agree with Valerie that this woman was very classy in her response and turned it into a wonderful learning opportunity. I find it surprising that she didn’t acknowledge the ways in which she is certainly a very positive role model. A woman with a successfull career, a family that she cares about, and a positive attitude willing to address an physical attack in public takes a strong willpower and alot of self-worth that is inspiring!

• Jessica Kuennen says:

I love when I see people that are as passionate as I am to change this bully epidemic. Bullying is a very hard thing for me to deal with because I actually cannot grasp how people can rationalize that kind of behavior. That is why I find this particular woman inspiring, it is easy for me to just react and sometimes my reactions aren’t the most efficient way to inspire change.

2. Valerie Walker says:

I thought the anchor was very classy in her response; she acknowledged how the viewer’s comment hurt, but also made it into a learning opportunity for others.

3. Jessica Erickson says:

Hannah thank you for sharing this video! I think this is a great and powerful example of standing up for yourself against bullies. I loved the part when she said bullying is learned, and that if you as parents and adults are calling people “fat” or any other mean and hurtful word , children hear that and bring it with them into their daily lives. It ties so well into schools and what is happening out there today and it is so sad but reality that it carries over into our adult lives.

here is another link with this woman and more in depth story on it.

http://youtu.be/QBh6gHrM63I