The Invisible Gorilla Posted on October 5th, 2012 by

Here’s a link to “The Invisible Gorilla” video we watched in class today. Below it you will see a discussion of why this type of “selective attention” matters. How do you think this applies to our observations as teachers?

1. Kelly Okerman says:

The first time I watched this video I totally missed the Gorilla. This shows me that while focusing on a particular aspect of the class is important, part of the responsibility of teaching is being aware of all that is happening in the classroom. This is something that I know I need to continue to work on. Also, I was going to reference the quote that Cassie did, “And it got us thinking that many other intuitive beliefs that we have about our own minds might be just as wrong”. Cassie said it exactly right, it is SO important as teachers to evaluate our beliefs and biases so that we are not blinded by them. Great observations and notes Sophie and Cassie–you hit the nail on the head.

2. Cassandra Faust says:

I agree with what Sophie said about teachers sometimes being blind to the behaviors the children are displaying. Additionally, I think that sometimes teachers might be blind or misguided as to WHY children display certain behaviors. The description under the video states, “And it got us thinking that many other intuitive beliefs that we have about our own minds might be just as wrong.” I think this relates to education in that reflecting on our biases and beliefs is essential. By being blinded to our students behaviors or why they exist, as well as only focusing on negative behaviors, we could be missing the strengths our students display. These strengths are the key to learning how to effectively teach the students in a way they will find engaging and valuable.

3. Sophia Hanson says:

I think this applies to the teaching field in several ways. Sometimes teachers become too focused on a specific task, that they become blind to behaviors that children are displaying. When teachers miss these behaviors, they may not recognize the needs of their students. Also, teachers may focus solely on a student’s negative behavior. The focus on the negative behavior ,may get in the way of seeing the whole child. This could lead to unfairly judging and categorizing a child.