In the News: Anti-bullying law is being discussed Posted on February 20th, 2014 by

Check out this news report on the state’s proposed anti-bullying law. This bill is referred to as the “Safe Schools” law and comes out of a discussion about how schools can protect students from anti-gay harassment. Evidently there’s a movement to keep it from being passed.

Later in the semester we’ll watch a video called It’s Elementary and have a discussion about the ways that school curriculum can be more inclusive of all families, including those which include gay loved ones.

I’m not going to hide my thoughts on this issue–I’ve worked on Safe Schools and GLBTQ issues for many years. I realize that this is complicated topic for (new) teachers to discuss and we’ll work together so that everyone’s ideas are heard and considered.

I’m writing this post now because of the legislation, but would rather have the class talk face to face than talk online. I’ll also be honest in that I might leave the MCSS conference a little early on Monday, March 3 to participate in a Safe Schools rally at the State Capitol. If I do, I’ll give you an update and talk about how rallies are also part of the democratic process!