This hits close to home with me… Posted on October 10th, 2014 by

The new york times had an interesting article about some schools in Canada that have started putting concussion education into their curriculum. Since I have had more than my fair share (6 for sure) and I know the impact that it has on someones life. They are instilling units on concussions dealing with symptoms, prevention, when/how we get them, etc. in hope of preventing this from happening further. They made it out to be a similar campaign as they ran for drug use, smoking, etc. Mass exposure to the impact of concussions. I think this is interesting since they are becoming more prevalent and more research is being conducted on the long-term effects of concussions. I would love to see what they have to say, heck, maybe I could be a guest speaker. What do you think about this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/sports/canadian-district-goes-to-school-on-concussions.html?ref=education&_r=0

1. Morgan Cronin says:

A good friend of mine organized an informational event on campus last year regarding traumatic brain injuries and the physical, social, and psychological effects they can have. Definitely something worth talking about and being aware of, especially as teachers!

2. Alex Halvorson Johnson says:

I think that having this unit on concussions is a fantastic idea! If we can help students understand what they are looking for in a concussion, then they will hopefully be more likely to notice the severity of a head injury or concussion. With a better understanding of severity of having a concussion, or what could happen by ignoring the symptoms, I believe that students and all people will proceed with more caution about head related injuries. This is a great kind Zach!