MCSS Conference Posted on March 4th, 2014 by

I was able to attend a session in the morning at the Conference that discussed the techniques and benefits of using multi-touch textbooks in your classroom. Brian Hurd is a Middle School teacher who has created and published some of his very own multi-touch textbooks. The idea behind the multi-touch textbook is that students are able to highlight information, click on vocabulary words and either view them in the glossary or on an online site, make notes within the text and then take an assessment at the end of the lesson. Mr. Hurd was very positive about how the multi-touch textbooks have created an exciting and engaging atmosphere within his middle school classroom.

I found his passion and enthusiasm about both Social Studies and the multi-touch textbooks to be very inspiring and something that I would definitely like to try in my own classroom some day. I do recognize that it would have to be more geared to an upper elementary or middle school classroom, but there is always areas where adaptations can be made to fit your students.