Happy Valentine’s Day Posted on February 13th, 2014 by

As I read your journal entries this morning, you helped me think about why writing is important for our students. Then, I was on Facebook and I saw this great love letter from a father to his daughters about how they shouldn’t accept the definition of beauty that  fashion magazines will try to sell them.

The letter made me think about how we might help our students learn to “talk back” to society through writing.

I have one of these stories to share. If someone in the class goes first, I’ll share my story in the next comment! 🙂

1. Nikki Middendorf says:

I really enjoyed this post! I also quickly thought of the same video that Jess posted above. It also reminds me of many of the topics of conversation and the discussions I had in my Elementary Health Methods course last spring with Kate Bergstrom. Its amazing the amount of impact that teachers can have on students, and I think its important that we as aspiring teachers are continually reminded of the role that we play in students lives. We can make a difference!

2. Jessica Kullman says:

This was a great find Valerie! After reading this article it reminded me of a video I watched that was a Dove commercial. It is amazing how deceiving computer imaging and make-up can be. Girls are growing up seeing these edited pictures of women in magazines and believing that is the standard of beauty.

Attached here’s the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U